Did you know there was a potato month? My family likes to eat potatoes often that are prepared in a number of different ways (of course I like mine with a little bacon). We like to try different toppings like ham, broccoli, cheese, sour cream and chili. One of the toppings that we have never thought to try was tuna. It is definitely different but worth a try because we do like tuna.
Here two recipes I wanted to share with you from Starkist for potatoes.
Baked Potatoes with Tuna and Broccoli in Cheese Sauce
1 pouch (6.4oz) or 2 pouches (2.6oz) or 2 cans (5 oz.) StarKist® Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna in Water (if using cans, chunked and drained)
2 medium size baking potatoes (about 10 – 12 oz. each)
1 package (10 oz.) frozen broccoli in cheese sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ cup minced green onions, including tops
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
½ cup light sour cream
1. Wash and pierce potatoes; microwave on high for 8 – 10 minutes. Wrap in foil and let stand to finish cooking while preparing broccoli.
2. Microwave pouch of broccoli and cheese sauce on high for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine tuna and chili powder. Gently stir in broccoli. Cover, heat on high for 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through.
4. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise. Top with broccoli and tuna mixture. Sprinkle with onions and bacon. Top each with 1 tbsp.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION [Based on using one 6.4 oz pouch Chunk Light Tuna in Water]
Per Serving: Calories = 230; Total Fat = 7g; Cholesterol = 40mg; Sodium = 550mg; Total Carbs = 33g; Dietary Fiber = 5g; Sugars = 2g; Protein = 19g
Tuna Dijon Potato Salad
2 (2.6 oz.) pouches, StarKist Tuna Creations®, Herb & Garlic
½ lb. small yellow potatoes
1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed
8 red cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. capers, drained
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 cups field greens or baby lettuce
1. Cook potatoes in boiling water for 15 – 20 minutes, until just tender. Drain and immediately cool under running cold water.
2. Steam green beans in microwave until just tender, about 4 – 5 minutes. Cool immediately under running cold water or plunge in ice bath to cool.
3. Cut potatoes in quarters and place in a large bowl. Add green beans, tuna and tomatoes.
4. Place olive oil in small bowl. Whisk in vinegar and mustard until thick and creamy. Whisk in capers and oregano. Pour dressing over potato and tuna mixture and toss.
5. Serve over field greens.
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION [Based on using two 2.6oz StarKist Tuna Creations, Herb & Garlic pouches]
Per Serving: Calories = 360; Total Fat = 18g; Cholesterol = 30mg; Sodium = 740mg; Total Carbs = 31g; Dietary Fiber = 7g; Sugars = 6g; Protein = 21g