Now that the weather is a little more crisp, is time to get ready for Halloween. Celebrate all month long with Halloween Themed meals. I am sharing with a recipe for Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons with Deviled Eyes courtesy of Explore Cuisine.
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons with Deviled Eyes
- 8 Hard Boiled Eggs
- Food Coloring – one drop or two of desired colors, plus water to dilute
- 4 Jumbo Black Olives
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 envelope (about ¼ oz.) Unflavored Gelatin – prepare according to packet instructions. (There will be more gelatin than needed for this recipe)
- Two sharp thin tubes for cutting hard-boiled egg into (1) the size of an iris, and (2) into the size of a pupil.
- Fine paintbrush to paint food coloring.
- Pastry brush for brushing gelatin.
- Use the larger tube to cut the top of the egg in a circle for the iris. Remove the egg white plug. Paint the egg white plug with diluted food coloring to look like an iris. Let dry.
- Use the smaller tube to cut out a place for the pupil in the painted iris. Use the same tube to cut a pupil out of the black olive. Place the olive pupil into the iris.
- Cut off the bottom third of the egg so it will nestle in the spaghetti spoon. Reserve any hard-boiled egg yolks for spaghetti recipe.
- Scoop out a small amount of the egg yolk from the top of the egg to make room for mayonnaise. Squirt garlic mayonnaise into the hollow top of the hard-boiled egg, and then replace the iris plug.
- Paint food coloring bloodshot lines around the iris. Let dry.
- Finish by brushing a light coat of slightly thickened gelatin glaze over the entire eye to give an authentic glossy finish.
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons
- 1 box Explore Cuisine Black Bean Spaghetti – cooked, drained
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. fresh herbs, finely chopped – such as tarragon, parsley, chives
- salt, to taste
- red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 T. cooked egg yolk, grated
- In a medium bowl – combine olive oil with garlic, herbs, salt and chili flakes. Add spaghetti and toss. Sprinkle with grated egg yolk.
- Arrange spaghetti in decorative serving spoons. Place deviled eyes in center.
All Explore Cuisine pastas are vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO and made with 100% organic ingredients. The Black Bean Spaghetti boasts 25 grams of protein per 2 oz. serving and is made from only one ingredient- organic black beans!