Let’s see, with the rising costs of um everything, I am constantly searching for even more ways to save money. These are some suggestions my husband has come across that I would love to share.
- When you call to make a appointment, ask for an estimate of what the costs may be for your visit.
- If certain charges are not covered by insurance, ask for a discount. You will be surprised at how many doctors will actually work with you. I used to work for one.
- Explain to your doctor if prescriptions cost too much for you, he/she may have samples. All you have to do is ask.
- Ask what procedures may be performed during your visit. Then double check with your insurance company to see if those procedures are covered.
- Some insurance companies have “nurse lines”. Call the nurse and discuss whether you need to go to the doctor or not. I have started using ours. We have had it for years, I never paid it much attention.
- If you need to see a doctor right away, but it is not life threatening, consider going to urgent care instead of the emergency room. Most times urgent care will be cheaper, especially if you have an emergency room co-pay.
- When you get prescriptions, make sure you ask about the generics as a option. I have been doing this for the last few months and it makes a huge difference!
- Usually insurance plans cover annual physicals. Make sure to keep up them. Preventive care can save you tons!!
- Keep in mind where you get your prescriptions. Places like Walmart offer a majority of prescriptions as low as $4 !!
If you have any suggestions, please share. I love tips on saving money!